Tuesday, July 08, 2008
Another Precious Day
Elaina had a pretty good day today, all things considered. Her blood gases have stayed in the same good range as yesterday, so once again I am encouraged. They are weaning her vent settings again, but very slowly. They haven't even talked about weaning her nitric, so I have no idea what the big plan is. There was one discouraging part of the day today. Elaina's left foot is still really dusky. This is a direct result of the art line that was put in her femoral artery and then the broviac that is in her femoral vein. Radiology came today and did an ultrasound, and they were unable to locate the artery below mid-thigh. They also were not able to distinguish any of the "normal" veins in her lower leg. They told me that they could hear a faint pulse behind her knee, but that's it. Now, it is possible for her to grow collaterals in her leg and for the blood flow to return to her foot. BUT if this does not happen, and if Elaina continues to progress in all other areas, they told me that we may have to amputate her foot. I am still in shock. The hard part is that this is really a life over limb decision. I'd rather have the broviac in her leg than in her Glen, so I truly feel that I made the only decision I possibly could. With her access as impossible as it is, she needs to have the broviac to maintain her life. Even if I had them take out the broviac (if there was another option for access) the damage has already been done. So, now I'm praying for collaterals and clots! Just in the opposite parts of her body that they already are!!! Clots in the coiled collateral and collaterals in the clotted artery and veins! Oh well. Her life is so precious to me. She was SO cute today. She's completely off the paralytics now and she spent her morning wide eyed and content. She still isn't parting with any of her sweet smiles, but just to see her big brown eyes is worth every second of my time. I ended my night by holding her for 3 1/2 hours. What a precious, precious day.