Thursday, June 19, 2008

Thursday Night Update

I am probably too tired and emotionally drained to be writing this right now. But I wanted to let everyone know that I think the reason I'm still sane is due in large part to the prayers that are being said in our behalf. Thank you all so much. I truly have faith in the power of prayer and I know that I would not have survived the last 36 hours if not for the prayers that have been said for Elaina and I.
That said, Elaina's day had lots of ups and downs. She was fairly stable for a large part of the day. Her stats stayed in the 70's, which is right where they want them right now, her CO2 was also right where they wanted her to be. They worked on weaning her down on the ventilator and the nitric oxide. Tonight she started a fever. Her chest has been open for 1 full week. Her risk of infection increases each day that it stays open. Dr Hawkins would like to close her up on Saturday or Sunday, but that all depends on how well she does up until that time. With her increased temperature came an increased heart rate as well as a higher blood pressure, and her sats dropped down to 63. They are trying right now to get all of this stabilized. After a little Tylenol her temp was back down to normal, but they took some blood to send to the lab to see if she has an infection. Right now, I'm not sure that her little body would be able fight an infection. They have her on 3 different antibiotics already in an attempt to avoid infection. Anyway, the nurses were tired of my hovering and since I'm practically falling over from exhaustion, I am tucking myself into one of the sleep rooms at the hospital.
I know I've said this before, but thank you all for your continued love and support during this trial.

9 comments:

Sam Anderson said...

Hollie, I'm glad your going to crash in one of the sleep rooms, you should get some rest, and if they need you they will come and get you. I'm praying that her fever doesnt come back and that they will close her little chest soon.

Do you need anything food? calling cards, candy? let me know if we can do anything for you!

HUGS
Melynda

Megan said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope you managed to get a little bit of rest. My heart is breaking for little Eliana. I have only been looking at your blog for two days now and I have already fallen in love with her. It is amazing the affect these kids have on us.....a true miracle of God!! I am sure you already know this, but fevers don't always mean infection. These little heart babies often run temps just in times of stress. I can't count the many of times Isabella has spiked temps in the hospital and they did all of the cultures and not once was she actaully "sick" with an infection. It is just their body's defense against stress. So just a thought. I pray that it is just her bodies defense. Take Care
Love and Prayers
Megan

Tina:0) said...

Oh, Hollie -

I hope you were able to get some rest. I know exactly how hard it is not to leave her bedside, but the best thing you can do for her right now. Keep up your strength because she feels that & takes her cues with that.

I agree with Megan about the fever. Most times these kiddos run a fever just because of all the trauma their body has been through, not to mention that there is now "foreign" material in their with the repairs that are done. Praying that the fever is just a reaction to all the trauma - and boy, has she had some trauma this last week! Just proves what a little fighter she is!

Know that we're always praying for your family & that Elaina will make a remarkable recovery

((Heart Hugs))
Tina & Vaeh (Jon & Gabby, too!):0)

my life: said...

I check your blog a couple of times a day, your baby has captured my heart! I am praying specifically for you to recieve peace, rest and for her to gain strength.
amber

My Three Sons said...

Hollie,
We will pray for your little one everyday until she gets to go home with you. I know it is easier said than done but do try to get some rest. Your baby needs you to be rested so you can help her. Praying you have a better day today.

Kaci

Diane said...

Hollie,

We are continuing to pray for your family. These little heart babies are SO STRONG, with such an ability to fight through the most incredible circumstances. We have faith in Elaina and we are amazed at your strength and endurance during such a difficult time.

Heart Hugs,
Diane Feinauer
IHH

Unknown said...

Hollie, you really need your strength so I'm glad your laying down. I know how hard it is to leave your little one, but she has some really great nurses taking care of her.

Djinni said...

Hollie my prayers have been with you daily. I hope this last surgery was Elaina's Big Miracle. I Hope you can find sometime to take a nap here or there. I can only imagine how exhausted you and Elaina are. Take Care, Heart Hugs, Djinni

Caden said...

Hollie,

I found your blog through Isabella's and I just want you to know that I will be checking up on you all often. My son and Isabella actually had their first surgeries on the same day at the same hospital. He ended up on ECMO for about a week and a half. I know how drained you feel right now, and I commend you for being able to keep posting as religiously as you have. Please know that you will have a whole new group of supporters here in the Wichita, KS area.

Thinking and praying for you all.