Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Emergency Update

This afternoon a new set of eyes looked upon Elaina. Dr Hawkins came in to close Elaina's chest. They do this at the bedside, so they asked me leave and wait in the waiting room. I was in there for about 45 minutes when the surgeon came to talk to me. He said that he wasn't going to close her chest. In fact, he didn't like how the Glenn looked and felt that it was "done wrong". So originally, he wanted to go to surgery in the morning. Well, Elaina had other plans. That's my turtle bug, she likes to do things in "her" time!!! As the afternoon progressed, her saturations dropped down into the 40's and 50's. So, we are currently in Emergency Surgery to re-do her Glenn. Because she had such a rough recovery last week, they have ordered ECMO for the operating room, and have prepared me for the worst. Thing is, if they did nothing then she wouldn't survive, at least this surgery will give her a fighting chance. So, pray, pray, pray that this surgery will be successful. This is a different surgeon than the last time, he has 32 years of Cardio-Thorasic surgery experience. He is the same surgeon that did her BT Shunt, when they told me that she only had a 10% chance of survival. I have faith that he will be able to save her. Anyway, any extra prayers at this point would be much appreciated.
Love,
Hollie and Elaina

8 comments:

Jim said...

Hollie and Elaina, the prayers of the Park 4th Ward are with you. With all our love, Brother Rawson your home teacher.

Valerie said...

Prayers are definitely with you! <3

Kristine said...

Praying for you every hour!

Mp said...

It is always nice to see you and Elaina, tonight under the circumstances my thoughts and prayers will be with you guys, please keep us posted as the night continues...

Thoughts and Prayers,
Mike & Family

Pam said...

Mike told me about what was going on, and I have been waiting for Rhett to go to sleep so I can come find you.

Dr. Hawkins did Rhett's surgery. He is a miracle worker. I know that. Rhett would not be alive if it weren't for him and Dr. Day.

I am in room 3078 now if you need to talk just pick up the phone or walk down. We aren't going anywhere soon.

I was going to come find you earlier, but got side tracked.

I will be watching for updates.

Love,

Pam and Rhett

Kathy said...

Hollie,
You're breaking my heart!
I've been so busy with Isaac...that I go a few days without checking on you guys. You are ALWAYS in our prayers...please update us after she's out of surgery.

Have faith in her and her surgeons...and we will all pray! (did someone give her a blessing??)

Love to you guys,
Kathy

J and D said...

Oh, Hollie. Our prayers are with you and Elaina! The Lord is mindful of you and Dr. Hawkins is phenomenal. He worked on our son Nicholas too. Never underestimate the hand of the Lord guiding these fine doctors!
BIG HUGS

Tina:0) said...

Oh,Hollie!

I'm so sorry that this is happening to your beautiful little girl. Its not fair that any child should have to endure this, but just think of the kind of person she will be... tough & perservering! Know that we continue to pray that everything goes according to plan - God's plan!