Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Evening Update

What a day, what a day. The Cardiologist was able to turn the subclavian central line in the right direction during Cath this morning. What a relief. They were able to do a dye injection, and didn't see any type of blockage in her pulmonary artery. The blood flow isn't as strong as they'd like it to be, so they are going to hold off on closing her chest. They don't think that the PA is clogged or clotted, they just think it might take Elaina a little bit longer than most to recover from surgery. However, they did increase her Heparin (blood thinner) just in case there is a small blockage that they weren't able to detect. The cardiology team and the surgeon are toying with the idea of putting in a new shunt or re-routing blood supply, but at the moment I don't have any details, nor do I understand what those procedures would entail. So, for the time being, she just rests and gets stronger. Her CO2 levels are improving, although her saturations are still low. There are no plans to close her chest tomorrow, we'll just have to wait and see how her night goes. The nurses and Respiratory Therapists are still getting lots of junk out of her lungs, but they are starting to sound more and more clear when they are done. She's back up to 70% on the oxygen and 40 on the nitric oxide.
I'm praying that she will have good night, full of improvements and that we will have an even better day tomorrow. Thank you all so much for your continued love, prayers and support. We couldn't do it without you all!

(I still need to figure out how to download my camera to this laptop, so pictures will have to come at a later date.)

3 comments:

Tina:0) said...

Good news that they were able to rethread the subclavian line! Vaeh had one of those for about a month when she was about 2 months old.

I'm so glad to see that they are watching her so closely! I'm sure their plans are being laid by the almighty physician!

Keep your chin up, Mom! You're doing a great job!

Sunshine Marketing said...

Ryan and I are watching and praying for your little one. When I was there, I took pix with my phone and then e mailed them to myself so I could get them on my laptop. Maybe that will work? Good luck! You are in our prayers.
Tami and Ryan
(and Thatcher)

carolyn q said...

Oh, I like to read good news, but am holding out for GREAT news.
I so enjoyed the time I got to spend with you, Elaina and it was great to meet your mom.
One thing that struck me about my time with Elaina was she reminded me of Hope in the fact that she also seems to have an old soul stuck in a baby's body. I loved the fact that she interacted with me by trying to shake her head in agreement to what I told her and that she fought so hard in keeping her eyes open. . . .which makes me think I wasn't the only visitor at her bedside.
You are doing such a great job and I know you must be so torn having to be away from Ben. I know sometimes things don't seem to be moving fast enough in the direction you would like them to be going, but remember what a little fighter Elaina is and the fact heart kids have to do things on their terms.
Keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers
Don't hesitate to call me at anytime Cell 372-2255!
(((HUGS)))
Carolyn