Monday, August 25, 2008

We're Okay!

SO SORRY FOR NOT POSTING!!!
I've had such a crazy few days.
First, Elaina is still about the same. She's having fevers, although not as high as she had the other day, but still fevers. They have sent more blood for cultures, even though we never get any answers this way. They've also sent more poo to see if there is something going on in her bowels. Her poor little bummy is so red, her poo is just SOOO watery and there is blood tinged mucus as well. It could be a virus, but we won't know for a day or so. Otherwise she's sweet as can be, and still continuing to work hard.
I took an opportunity on Friday to take a tour of the South Davis Transitional Care facility. It's a lot different than what I'm used to at Primary Children's, but I feel that it would be in Elaina's best interest to be transferred there. She's just having such a hard time proving any stability in the PICU, and because it's the ICU, there are certain things that they have to do in her care. Today the doctor from South Davis is going to come and evaluate Elaina to see if she would fit in to the level of care offered there. I'm hopeful that she will be able to go, it should only be for a couple of weeks, but they will be able to "fine tune" Elaina's needs for home. They also have the ability to slowly transition home, 12 hour trips home, 2 nights at a time, that kind of thing. This way it won't be so scary for me to be home all alone with her and her 24 hour nursing needs. I will know more this afternoon and will post tomorrow.
Now, the reason for not posting for so long. On August 17, my sweet Aunt Judy passed away. She was 83 years young and so full of love and life that it took my whole family off guard. I was standing in my kitchen when my dad called me that night to tell me the news, and I almost fell over the shock was so great. My dad is the baby brother in his family (he has a baby sister), and this is the 1st of his grown siblings to pass away. (His oldest brother Bob was killed in WWII) Anyway, this past weekend was filled with the viewing, funeral and family time together mourning our loss. Her son, daughter and grandchildren gave her a truly beautiful funeral. My Aunt Joanne was here from Las Vegas and also spoke, it was so hard for her to get up and talk about her big sister. They were so close and loved spending time with each other. It was so nice to be able to see cousins from out of state that I rarely get to hug, but I truly wish it had been under different circumstances. It was a beautiful but bittersweet weekend. My parents did a quick trip out for the services, getting here Thursday night and going home on Sunday morning. I could see the sorrow on my fathers face as well as his remaining siblings and it hurt to imagine the feeling of loss that they were forced to experience. I love my Aunt Judy tremendously and I know that there is an empty spot that cannot be filled in our family. She will be greatly missed.
Love,
Hollie

4 comments:

Sherri said...

South Davis is great for kids in this situation. My husband works as a paramedic in the area and I know that he has been there a few times. We also have a few friends that work there. Good Luck!!!

Em said...

So where are you guys? Are you on the 3rd floor? Did you move to another PICU room? I missed seeing you! Hope the South Davis place works out well!
Heart hugs,
Emily

Djinni said...

It's good to hear that Elaina can be closer to home at South Davis Hospital, I hope it is a smooth transition. I'm sorry to hear that your weekend was so sad. I'll continue to pray for you. I haven't posted much because I've had some really stressful days lately too. It's really more than I have time to post about. I was so stressed I had sort of a stress attack Sunday. I am starting to feel better, but the roller coaster ride hasn't slowed down enough yet. Please know that my thoughts are always with you, even if you don't hear from me often. Heart Hugs, Djinni

Tina:0) said...

Sounds like this new facility may be the answer to getting little miss Elaina home! I would take the "hospital" environment out of the question.

Praying that Elaina is able to come home soon to be with you & Ben!