Plan 1: Elaina's Plan
On Tuesday, Elaina had an echo done. There was a little concern, because they saw something in her Inferior Vena Cava (IVC). At first, they thought it was a clot. They assured me that they were already giving her the treatment for this, her Lovinox shots, and that they wouldn't really know for sure if it was a clot until the Cardiology team was able to take a better look at the echo. They wanted to compare it to not only her past echo's, but her cath lab results. They wanted to know if it was something new or if it had already been there for awhile. I decided not to TOTALLY FREAK OUT!!! and to wait for the final say. Well, today Cardiology came and talked to me. They said that it's not so much a clot as it is a strand of something waving in the blood flow of the IVC. (Scary note, the IVC connects to the right atrium of the heart. I really don't want anything going to her right atrium....) The general consensus is that it's probably from the broviac, and that it's what is causing her fevers. So, as soon as her next fever spikes, they are going to start her on Ancef, a different IV antibiotic than she's ever been on before. They are going to keep her on this antibiotic for 5 days and then switch her to amoxicillin for an additional 7 days and see what happens. The hope is that her fevers will disappear, and she will be able to "prove herself" so that she can be transferred to South Davis. Of course, knowing Elaina, nothing will be that simple. :) As it is now, we will be in the PICU for at least 2 more weeks. Oh well, going home is overrated anyway.....
Plan 2: Hollie's Plan
So, since Elaina is just going to be hanging out on antibiotics this weekend (and is otherwise as stable as she gets - give or take a fever!), I have made a decision. It was a VERY HARD decision for me to make. But, I've decided that Ben needs some uninterrupted Mommy time. I am going to take him on a small weekend trip to my family's cabin at Bear Lake. Here is a picture taken from the deck of the cabin, looking towards the lake:
Bear Lake is truly one of my favorite places on earth. Ben loves it just as much as I do, and I honestly can't think of a better place for a weekend of rest and relaxation! My siblings (and their families) will be there as well, and it is going to be fantastic fun! There is a public beach a very short drive down the hill (mountain) and the water is absolutely amazing! It is so clean and blue, you can actually be shoulder deep in the water and look down and see your feet. Bear Lake is famous for it's raspberry crop and it's a tradition to get a fresh raspberry shake on every visit. I discovered chocolate covered fresh raspberries last summer when I was pregnant, and I'm going to have to get some of those too! They dip them in chocolate and then put them in the freezer, and when you bite into it the fresh raspberry explodes into juice in your mouth. YUM!!! After 102 days in the hospital (79 in the PICU) I think 4 days away is justifiable. There is a part of me that feels guilty leaving Elaina in the hospital all alone, but Ben needs to have some fun with Mom and that's super important too.
Here's the catch. Since our cabin is an official "getaway", there is no internet access. SO, I will not be posting until Monday or Tuesday. Please don't get worried. If something happens with Elaina, I will have my Mom post (sorry you can't be with us at the cabin Mom!). Otherwise, I'll post tons of pictures of us having fun at the lake when we get back! Oh, if you're local and are going to be at Primary Children's please go give some loves to my sweet heart! Hold her and rock her and tell her that Mommy misses her, if you have the time.......
Thanks so much for all the love and support!
I don't know how I'd survive this without it!
Hollie, Ben and Elaina